Monday 28 November 2011

dURBAN fashion

(photo polyvore.com)
I'm sorry world. I really should know better. But they were $30 (which is about 20 quid), fit perfectly and I can't be expected to never buy clothes right? Yes, I know what you're thinking: buy good clothing that will last so I don't need to buy them again. That's the way to reduce your personal carbon footprint. Fine. You win. That's exactly right, and I fell culprit to the cheap form fitting blackest black of jeans. Then I put them on and my hands turned black. Hmm. I guessed there was some excess die on these jeans. No wait, after washing them in the white bathtub (of a rented apartment) for half an hour and turning the bathtub blue, in turns out the jeans were entirely dye. I've never seen so much dye come out of anything. When they get out of the dryer (they continue to soak in the kitchen sink 12 hours later) I'm sure my blackest black jeans will be blue defeating the purpose of buying them and adding not only the energy used in creating them, but also the sick amount of water and energy used to get the dye off of them, the white bathtub and my hands. Well screw you Latitude, and screw you button that says 'LA premium wax jeans' (wax jeans? i really should read labels) and screw you inside label that says 'seductions FD' you have certainly seduced me into buying your rubbish, waste of energy, time and money jeans. I am making a vow here and now to read labels, and not be seduced by stretchy, goodness-my-ass-looks-great-in-these garments ever again.

What makes it even worse is I've done this on the eve of the Durban climate talks, where I want a binding, fair (not bullying the little countries into letting the big dogs off easy) agreement to reduce emissions drastically. If you don't know what's happening with the climate talks, here's a quick 5 things to know about Durban Climate Talks to get you in the know.


Also, if you're of the mind that the climate needs to be saved after the global economy is saved, you haven't -and MUST - read this by George Monbiot who is very clever yet easy to read. Actually, it doesn't matter who you are, read that article right this moment. And then, leave me a comment. 


Feel free to make fun of me constantly if you ever see me in black jeans to really make it sink in. I can handle it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment