Wednesday 23 November 2011

Drive

Wowee. Mr. Gosling, you've certainly come along way since Breaker High and I like it. A lot. Except when you're violently smashing someone's face in. In all Drive is an excellent movie, but not for the softies among us. It's fiercely violent, and not the kind of violence that's not shown or so exaggerated but the kind of violence that is exactly real and all the more terrifying for it.
Drive is beautifully shot, and both the soundtrack and sound recording are amazing. The whole film is extremely well acted by the main characters; both Gosling and Carey Mulligan are fantastic, especially considering how few lines are spoken. The only change I would wish for would be a bit more background to Gosling's character. There are lots of clues to Mulligan's, but I just couldn't get a feel of how this guy ends up being where he is - I get the whole nothing to live for makes you fearless in the driving bit, but still felt there was something missing.
Drive is definitely worth watching, but would warn the pure of heart to shut eyes and ears during the violent scenes. Oh, I also love his jacket. Somehow it really makes it for me.

1 comment:

  1. I literally have nightmares after watching ADVERTS for violent or scary movies. I love RG (a lot a lot) but not sure I can watch this now, ha.

    ReplyDelete