Monday 30 January 2012

Ballsy bikers

Today it snowed 5cm in Toronto. By the time I left the gym it had gone from a few gentle snowflakes to a full on blizzard outside. A car skidded to a stop at the pedestrian crossing and I slowly sauntered out, making sure that I wasn't hit by another skidding car. As I crossed, a woman on a bicycle passed me. I noticed there were about 8 bikes lined up outside the grocery store. The woman I saw wasn't wearing a helmet. Strike two on the general bike safety test in my opinion. It's quite amazing that cycling is now such a big part of life in the city that even when for some people it's too dangerous to drive their cars, there are others riding bikes.

A pic of my favourite Toronto bike.

Unfortunately, the snow will melt away tomorrow in the +7 heat. This crazy up and down winter weather is more extreme than I remembered. Bring on more winter I say, January's over in two days.  I want more tobogganing!


2 comments:

  1. It was too cold in London to cycle for me today. I have basic rule of thumb on riding in the cold. If I can't feel my face then I take the tube. How can you ride a bike if you can't feel your face? Impossible. People are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on whether you cycle with your face or not, no? My general rule of thumb is no cycling in places where there are trucks. Which is a fairly limiting rule, to be honest.

      Delete