Saturday 15 October 2011

Sushicity

I love me some sushi. The feeling of a good salmon sashimi drenched in wasabied soy sauce melting in my mouth just gets me every time.
All you can eat sushi is a staple of the Torontonian's diet. Hells yes to that I say. Sushi in London is generally pretty poor or wildly overpriced. Finding a place that's Japanese and under 30quid a head is tough in the N5. Finding an all you can eat with unlimited sashimi  (unlimited sashimi is a necessary yet impossible feature in The Big Smoke) at $21.95 where the sushi is delicious and quickly served is easy in Toronto. There are lots of options.
We chose Sushi D on College last night and as it was my first sushi experience since moving home, I was excited. Sushi D didn't disappoint, and I even found some new favourites, including the 'D Roll' which is something like crab with tempura flakes, avocado and masago. We were also ordering beer by the pitcher, hooray! Though we were absolutely stuffed to the bone (top button on the jeans undone), we then ventured into a Belgian beer house to knock back some quality brews. The waitress serving us understood my taste in beer and decided to take an extra ten minutes to talk to me about tripels and what you can get at which LCBO in the city. It was remarkable customer service (something else that just doesn't happen in the UK).
In all, Toronto's plentiful and delicious sushi joints make me very happy.  So does spending an evening eating and drinking with new friends.
But now it's back to the reality of being jobless and apartmentless, living with the folks and guzzling gas driving into and out of the city everyday looking for a place to live. It's day 3 and I'm worn down. I try to remember that sweet melty salmon sashimi to keep me sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment