Thursday 16 February 2012

9 to 5 in the 416

The last few months I've been blogging while jobless, which has been both liberating (especially in terms of having time to blog) and constricting (in not being able to take advantage of the free time because of a lack in funds). It has been wonderful being able to wander around the streets of Toronto, seeing what the city has to offer, but now it's time to get back to reality.

And in this way, I think my comparison between London and Toronto will be much more accurate now because my lifestyle will return to a working in the day routine. This also probably means my blogs will be less frequent but heyho, whatchagonnado?

So far, taking away the actual type of work I'm doing and the type of organization I'm working for, the most noticable difference is the commute - though I'm using the subway, and the length of commute is almost the same (10 min less in Toronto), the sheer volume of people in London is so staggering that it feels very different. People think they're on top of each other in the subway here. They aren't.

In other news, I went to see a hilarious show last night called 'Pomme is French for Apple', which is essentially a children-of-Caribbean-parents-in-Toronto-style-Vagina-Monologuesque comedy. I was pretty much rolling on the floor laughing through the hour and a half show put on by two very funny women. (Also the intro skit was mad funny, and definitely worth finding out who those two women are).

It's on for the next few days, so if you are in Toronto and want to cry with laughter for a few hours for $20, I would definitely recommend it to everyone (including men) who has a sense of humour and doesn't mind their mind being pulled through the gutter for a little while. Caribbean people or people who've been around lots of Caribbean people will find it especially funny. The venue is also a really cool place, and served very tasty rum punch.

Check out a teaser here:

1 comment:

  1. I literally got kicked in the back of the leg, out of spite, by a 60 year old woman on the tube the other day, for apparently pushing in front of her. We all know its impossible to do anything like that on purpose on the victoria line. Get me to Toronto. Sounds like you all lie across 5 seats and take a nap to work. I like.

    ReplyDelete